Tuesday, February 1, 2011

To One Day Rule the World (Walt Disney World)

As a wee first-year (there are no freshMEN at a Women's College), I knew I would be a Political Science major. However, while perusing the course catalog, something caught my eye. There was a course called "Disneyland in American Culture", a seminar posted by the American Studies and Art History departments. I figured the best way to take this class that, frankly, was made for me, would be to major in one of those two departments. American Studies it was. But I knew I was going to be a PoliSci major.

So there I was, not even through Orientation and I was a double major. The logic? Well, I'll need the political knowledge to run the World and the knowledge of American Culture to get there and guide it along. Plus, I had my mind set to be a PoliSci major and I tend to do the things my mind gets set on.

Now, I am a second-semester senior who is double-majoring in PoliSci and American Studies. This should be the semester that I would be taking my fated "Disneyland" class but, alas, they are no longer offering it. So I picked a major for nothing (even though American Studies is still my favorite major, that's right I said it, PoliSci).

Throughout my years here at Wellesley, I have become known as that Disney Girl. Disney is my identifier (well, that and Republican but that's a different story) and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Girls come to me when they are planning a trip to Disney or Orlando in general. They ask me about the characters, the movies, the music, and the parks. I wouldn't have it any other way. Even though I never got to take my "Disneyland" course, I learned so much about Disney and it's place in American Culture simply by interacting with those around me (Twitter has been a great tool as well).

Not everyone here likes Disney. In fact, many despise it. They believe it teaches kids the wrong thing or undermines the Feminist movement or is just one giant consumeristic marketing ploy to exploit our childhoods for profit. They may all be right in some ways but they have taught me valuable lessons about how people experience and relate to Disney, things I can use to make it better.

However, in a world where women strive to be global leaders, my dreams of working at Disney are often brushed aside. Wellesley is a place for women who will. Women who will be secretary of state. Women who will be high-powered attorneys, innovative doctors, ground-breaking scientists, and world-changing activists. The woman most likely to be President of the United States is a Wellesley Woman.

As a college student, people always ask about my major(s) infer my life goals from that:
Them: So what's your major?
Me: I'm an American Studies and Political Science double major.
Them: Oh, you're going to be a politician?
Me: I'm hoping to work in Tourism, preferably Theme Parks.
Them: So you want to be a lawyer?
Me: I want to work at Walt Disney World.
Them: So you want to be a Politician?

Some wonder why I picked the majors I did if that's what I want to do, but I think I chose correctly. Now, if only I was in that "Disneyland" course right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment